Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Friday, February 08, 2008

Handwriting

I saw my dad's handwriting yesterday, which surprised me since it was in my checkbook ledger.

Two entries. Four letters. Four numbers. NMSU. 41.97.

Just as he would write it. Written by me.

It reminded me of a tribute book for my grandmother's 80th birthday that all the family members wrote in. On the first page, I saw my brother's handwriting. But he hadn't been there and couldn't have written it in person. The reason? Dad wrote it. A cousin said it was our late grandfather's way of making sure everyone was spoken for. I'll say.

So I guess I write like my dad. Sometimes I write like my mom. Sometimes I do things that remind me of both parents. I'm organized like Dad while being slightly chaotic like Mom. I sneeze like Mom. I yawn like Mom. I work crosswords like Dad. Sometimes, I can't finish a sentence or a train of thought, like Dad.

Trying to digest all this, I thought of the things B. will do that remind C. and I of one of us. Already, I watch C. sleep and look at B. They pucker their lips the same way when they snooze. I've seen B. smile and C.'s dimple emerges on B.'s left cheek.

What traits will he pick up from me? Only time will tell. But it sure will be fun watching it all unfold.

No comments: