Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Silence . . .

Who knew a newsroom could be this quiet?

I sit at my desk, thumbing a day-old paper, waiting for the night to end. I've read the sports wire, the national wire, the foreign wire. The Nuggets lose. A fatal fire in Tennessee. Another pit bull attack, but this time in Illinois. Bird flu worries in Beijing.

My eyes are dry and tired and filled with glare from my computer screen. My ears are almost ringing it's so quiet. Occasionally, they are filled with the tick, tack of keystrokes and click, click of mouse maneuvers of 10 colleagues located within a 25-foot radius.

Our second deadline is still 49 minutes away - an eternity in these parts. (And even longer when something as light as a sigh would break the silence.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You apparently weren't sitting next to Hank or Andy. You'd pay MONEY for silence, then! HWHOA!!!!