Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Monday, April 30, 2007

Bunch o' savages in this town

To steal a line from Clerks, there truly are a bunch of savages in this town. Grr!

On my way home from work, I caught a glimpse of some idiot's graffiti on our neighboring 'hood's welcome sign. You know, the signage that signifies the name of a certain community? Well...three big characters scrawled in black covered the entire sign, and it has to be 8+ feet high.

Luckily, ours hasn't been tagged yet. It's probably our sign's size (3 feet tall with dark brick) and lack of room to vandalize. But it seems week after week the sign across the street gets hit. What gives?

Reminds me of the graffiti we saw stamped on several fences and buildings on our way to the Montego Bay airport. Simply put, it read "Big Nuni Singer."

Hmmm...

2 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, I hear ya. Lots of things get tagged around here. Even the signs in my PATH station get tagged. It's so stupid.

The idiots who vandalize in the PATH are being watched, though, by the control center up in Journal Square. And the folks in the control center have access to each station's PA system. So, sometimes, the Voice of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey booms over the speakers:

"DON'T SIT ON THE TURNSTILES!"

"EATING AND DRINKING ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE PATH RAIL SYSTEM! THAT'S WHAT ALL THOSE SIGNS MEAN!"

"NO RIDING BIKES ON THE PLATFORM!"

The offenders immediately comply, then look totally confused as they try to figure out who caught them. I love it. I've never heard the Voice boom at vandals, but I bet it happens. I wish it could boom at all the people outside the PATH who litter, tag buildings and signs, get in the way of ambulances, drive poorly...

Josephine said...

I do have to admit, one of my favorite pictures from N.Y. is the ubiquitous NYC graffiti picture. :-)