Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Friday, August 11, 2006

43 to the 101

Wednesday marked a momentous occasion for me. I took my first trip into downtown Denver via light rail.

It was out of necessity (see previous post) and desire, as I had wanted to test out taking public transit at the hour I get off work (after midnight). Since my first bus trip in my teens, I have had fascination with public transit.

I fell in love with the subways in the NY/NJ area when I visited five years ago. On my first light rail trip before that, I wished for a reason to ride it regularly. Now I have one.

The only drawback was I had to arrive at the RTD bus stop across the street from my townhome complex 90 minutes before I was due at work. After boarding the No. 43 bus, I had time to scratch out a letter to our friends overseas and another little note for my goddaughter. Then I had time to catch up on some reading.

Fifty minutes later, I was at the 30th & Downing Station, ready to board the 101 D line. After a slight wait and the train's short jog through the north of downtown, I was transplanted onto the 16th Street Mall. I swiftly hopped onto a free MallRide trolley that took me straight to Cleveland Place.

Voila! I was at my new building, and 3 minutes early to boot!

And Friday, I will do it all again.

P.S. The late return trip wasn't as threatening as many people made it out to be. I walked in the darkness along the mall, five blocks to the train's launching point. Waiting seemed to be the worst part, as strangers mingled nearby, including an RTD employee. The Downing Station was a little dark for my taste, but once on the No. 43 line and heading back home, I had time to cozy in and work on knitting a pair of wool socks. By the time I got home, I was relaxed and ready for bed.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Go, public transit!! I'm a bit biased, but I've felt lucky to be able to commute to work by train for so many years. I've read stacks of books, done plenty of knitting and had some nice naps.

The people-watching has been grand, too. :)

Gina said...

P.S. An iPod makes a mighty fine "do not disturb" sign when commuting.

Anonymous said...

I've walked down colorado blvd at 4 am before. haha...it was only 5 blocks, from his apartment to mine. 12th - 17th. i did get a little scared when some black guys walked out of one of the apartment complexes after a girl though. but it was all good!!! i'd gladly do it again. even if it was just one more time. hah. forget it, i'm moving back to denver!!!!

Josephine said...

Yes, the iPod comes in handy. And I'm thinking of getting some pepper spray just to feel a little bit safer.