Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fear

Want to know why I don't have my new iPhone yet? Simply, I'm afraid.

I've been hemming and hawing for the past six weeks about buying one, yet these are the scenarios that have been brewing in my brain.

I'm afraid:
  • ...my eyes will pop out of their sockets after seeing the first bill.
  • ...I will spend way too much time playing with it. As it is, our phones are a huge attraction to B. Don't need to teach him it's a grown-up's toy he has to have.
  • ...I will need/want to have new software for the iBook in order to use all functions of the iPhone properly.
  • ...I will need/want a new computer for the same reasons. We've been dying for a new computer. After all, the iBook is 5+ years old. Don't need a reason pushing us into that one.
  • ...I will drop it/break it/lose it or something equally mortifying.
  • ...I won't like it or will want my old phone back.
  • ...I will want out of my cell phone contract sooner than 2 years from now. We all know what life was like before cell phones, but just a few years back, I went without one for an extended period by choice. I liked it. Life seemed less complicated. Also, things happen. What quicker way to trim the fat from your budget than to get rid of a phone? (For those of you saying, "What about an emergency?", I've never needed my cell nor have I been in a situation where someone didn't have a phone I could use.)
  • ...we'll end up buying two, even though C. likes to keep it simple.
  • ...I'll wish I would have stowed that extra money in B.'s college fund or even bought him a fun new toy, or clothes, or saved all the monthly fees for a family vacation.
Does everyone put themselves through this on some level?

2 comments:

pinkmorning said...

i'm with you. i had a cell phone in 1999 and then i got rid of it and went for five years without one. i only got one again because i lived in a different state than my whole family and it was cheaper for me than getting a home phone...but i do not keep it charged all the time, nor do i bring it with me everywhere. they are a pain because everyone who knows you have a cell phone expects you to be available to them by phone ALL THE TIME...i would get calls from people who knew i worked full time in the middle of the afternoon and they would call multiple times and that is just one example. it is nice to not be home or not be available sometimes you know? i HATE my husband's blackberry. he brings the damn thing everywhere...

Unknown said...

I'm not what you could call an ideal cellphone customer. I sometimes forget to turn my cellphone on — for a whole day. I frequently forget about charging it. And sometimes, when I leave the house, I don't even bother bringing it along. And I've insisted on having the simplest possible phones. No camera, no keyboard, no fancy games, etc. I don't want to be tempted to spend any more time staring at screens, especially a little one.

Several years ago, I removed my cell number from the directory at work. When it was "listed," it was labeled "for emergencies only." But, of course, people at work called that number for all kinds of non-emergency reasons, just because they could. I've found that 99 percent of the things that my co-workers — even supervisors — need to discuss with me can be discussed at the office.

I have no desire to own an iPhone or a BlackBerry. None.

For me, a new computer would win over an iPhone. No contest. Your instinct regarding the college fund is a good one, too! :)