Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

True meaning

I’ve been thinking a while about change.

Because of this, I’m tweaking my outlook. A change of attitude, if you will. With so many unfortunate events crossing more of our paths these days, I decided I would truly be thankful for what I have. Too often, I/we/society takes for granted the things that are right before our eyes. All too often, it takes a great event to reprioritize our thoughts. I'm trying to do that without the big event (unless you count Thanksgiving).

So here is my list of things I am thankful for.

My family – To my husband and our beautiful son: I don’t know how I’d get through a day without you. I try to focus each day on something I can do for each of you to make your day brighter, better. And while I might not always succeed, thanks for letting me try.

My extended family –
Mom, Dad, M. and the rest of my relatives! You always give me so much support, I don’t think I could be who I am without giving at least some credit to all of you.

My job – I am quite thankful I can come to work week after week and collect that check week after week. While I’d love to be a stay-at-home mom (SAHM), right now this works. Years ago, I never thought I’d want to give up my career, but after being a mommy, I realize how painful it is to leave a child every day. Thankfully, C. and I never have put B. in day care. One of us has been with him every day of his life. My career and C.’s willingness to be a seasonal SAHD has made this possible.

My health – Just like many people I know, I complain about my appearance, but that’s nothing compared with a person who cannot see. Or cannot hear. Or cannot walk. I am thankful for my eyes, ears, arms and legs. (Legs that should make me work a few miles on the elliptical machine more often.)

My friends – You know who you are. And I thank you, too, for the support over the years. Whenever I am “lost” or don’t know how to approach a certain obstacle, you have always come through for me. Thanks for the laughs, too.

So as you’re all celebrating Thanksgiving now or during this holiday weekend, please write a mental list of the things you’re truly thankful for. I’m sure you have already.

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you!

3 comments:

The Zak Family said...

Beautifully said! Although I hate how we all (December '06 Friends) came about to be friends, I'm EVER grateful for each and every one of you!!! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Steph said...

Thanks for sharing. What a great reminder...I think I'll make my list now! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! :)

Screaming Grasshopper said...

I love your list Josephine! It is so hard sometimes to remember the positive. You reminded me that I need to do it more often!

Thanks!