Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Reinforcement

I am convinced we are doing the right thing.

After making the decision to cloth diaper our little guy, I sometimes wonder if disposables wouldn't be easier. I'm sure they would be, and they are when we're on vacation, but I feel better about our cloth.

Sometimes it's a challenge to stick with it, especially when you look at the basket of diapers and there are only a few clean ones, meanwhile a mound of dirties are staring you down from the laundry room.

But yesterday, I saw a report that showed just how much an average baby (and that's being conservative -- this report averaged only four diapers a day ... FOUR DIAPERS?!) uses in resources. The disposable-diapered baby uses crude oil, trees and landfill space. Don't ask for specifics because as a new mom, my brain sometimes turns to mush.

Some people say using cloth uses other resources like energy and water for washing, but with our high-efficiency and Energy Star rated appliances, I don't worry about that. And water is renewable.

So I feel better about our decision. Remind me of that when I'm complaining about yet another load of diapers to wash.

P.S. The fact that Big B. is rockin' the cloth diapers and looks so darling in them helps!

No comments: