Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Friday, June 29, 2007

Stupid technology

Here's another thing that didn't used to happen 20, probably even 10 years ago.

I was leaving work tonight and on my way down the stairwell to my car, I heard a familiar noise. Just then, I tensed up, searching in my purse to make it stop. It was my cell phone, and the speaker was happily chirping one ring, then two. Then I saw the outer screen. Calling B. home.

Shit!

I crazily searched for the end button and hit it about 18 times. Since my pal in Massachusetts was the last person to call me, she and her hubby were the lucky winners of a middle-of-the-night phone call courtesy of my arm banging on the outer buttons of my cell phone. With just the right movements when I walk and hug my purse close to my body, I can squeeze out a redial when I'm expecting it least. And it's on speaker to boot. Embarassingly, I have done this several times (I've woken up my mom, I've called C. repeatedly). This was just the worst all-time goof.

So B., I'm sorry for the 2:23 a.m. wake-up call. Please tell your man I'm sorry. Tell the little dude in your belly I'm sorry.

And tomorrow, I'm calling AT&T to see how to disable this horrid, unnecessary feature!

P.S. The entire time it took me to write this at 1 a.m., I devoured a bowl of Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal. I think I may have another!

5 comments:

Becky said...

I never even heard the phone ring-Don't sweat it :-) (That's the benefot of having a really loud air conditioner).

Josephine said...

Whew! Thank heaven!

Anonymous said...

haha oh man. well at least it wasn't a big deal since the recipient apparently didn't hear the phone. Heh. you're saved!!

I called my mom at 4 am one time when Beth and I were coming back from a friends house (while in Denver). I hit the send button with the seatbelt (phone was clipped to my pocked) and called mom since she was the last one i talked to. Heh...oops!

Anonymous said...

Don't you hate that!? That happened to me a few times in college when I was in a lecture... all of a sudden I'd hear, "Hello? Hello?" I'd look around annoyed until I realized the voice was coming from my purse! :)

Jane, P&B Girls

Josephine said...

Jane, LOL. Glad I'm not the only one.

Steph, C.'s nephew called his parents from college, something like 4 a.m. also, and they heard him ordering a Captain & Coke. It was all on their voicemail since they didn't hear the phone either. He said "he must have hit the keys while he was tossing and turning while asleep." Yeah right. ;o)