Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Thursday, August 09, 2007

I'm not a buddha

I had my very first inappropriate belly pat yesterday, after a company meeting.

The offender was a coworker, and as I saw his unwelcome hand drift toward my stomach, I retracted. He patted it twice, anyway. Just then, I reached out to touch his belly, and he did the same thing...pulled back. He gave me this sheepish grin and said, "For good luck."

When did my baby make me a lucky buddha?

Now, I've had lots of people (and all women) ask if they can touch. That is fine. If I'm not up to it, I'll say so. But I haven't said no yet. It's just amazing how some people's manners go right out the window when it comes to pregnant women.

------------------------------------

P.S. During said meeting and for about five minutes, I heard (and I wasn't the only one) the distinct sound of someone clipping their fingernails. I know sometimes our newsroom meetings are boring, but I didn't think it was time to give oneself a manicure! All I could picture afterward were little sprinklings of someone's fingernails all over the carpet at work. Ew. It still doesn't compare to the skin left behind after a since-retired coworker was picking at her bedsores throughout a different meeting, unknowingly leaving a pile of her dead, scaly skin on the floor. Double ew.

4 comments:

pinkmorning said...

oh, i wish i lived by you. i would pat your belly for good luck, except i would ask first, of course...

Gina said...

How inappropriate! And I'm sure he wasn't doing it for your "good luck" -- that was all about him, thinking he was being funny. Ugh.

Was it anyone I know? You don't have to say so here... ;)

Josephine said...

I would love belly pats from you, Jules!!

Anonymous said...

I wanna know who the inappropriate belly touch was from, hehe. And I am pretty sure I know who the dead bedsore skin was from. Oh man, what's goin on at that place since I left? miss you!