Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Sunday, September 30, 2007

This is why I love tap

Yes. I watch Dancing With The Stars and I'm not afraid to admit it. It's mainly because I have a dance background, so you can't fault me there.

On Wednesday's show, Savion Glover was one of the featured guests.

I will never grow tired of seeing him move. He makes every single riff look effortless in his emerald green shoes.

To my chagrin, Glover and his troupe weaved in a tribute to the late Gregory Hines. Not everyone would know this unless they pay close attention and remember certain combinations. When a tap dancer takes a move from another dancer, it isn't considered a cheating or stealing tactic, it's considered a high form of respect, and I was quite touched seeing Glover and his troupe work in a combination Hines performed in the movie Tap. (It occurs with about 1:25 left in this clip.)

It made me want to dust off my worn taps and see what I still have left. Perhaps when I'm not almost nine months pregnant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that show too! He is a wonderful tapper and I love the Gregory Hines tribute! Did you ever see Hines on Will & Grace? He was in several episodes but there was one where he danced... oh man! I was in heaven! Thank you for sharing the clip!!!

Anonymous said...

I saw that episode too. We watch the show at my house because I my 18 month daughter just loves it.( well so do I) She just dances and dances along. It is so cute. after this amazing display of tap talent she started to try it her self. She now walks around the house stomping her feet saying tap tap tap. To cute. Maybe I have a new little star on my hands?! HAHA.

Josephine said...

I don't think I did see Gregory Hines on Will & Grace! Have to check that out on Netflix.