Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The 4-1-1

We went to the doctor's office yesterday for my 24-week checkup. I'm doing great so far. BP (110/60), weight (ha! like I'd really tell you that), urinalysis, fundal height and fetal heartbeat all check out perfect.

Except for one thing. My uterus is measuring "big," as Dr. B put it. Just then C. started laughing. Need I remind you he was an almost-11-pound baby when he was born? When Dr. B and I both gave him daggers out of our eyes, he told her why he was laughing. My OB said my fundus measurement was 3-4 centimeters bigger (and that seems awfully big!), but it wasn't alarming enough to change my due date to any time sooner. She also said the baby's weight goes more by what Mom was when she was born (that'd be me at 6 pounds and a half-ounce), but of course Dad has something to do with it, too. Pooh.

At any rate, my next appointment is in four weeks (Aug. 14). That is when the fun begins. I have to do my glucose blood test to check for gestational diabetes. (So far, no sugar or protein in my urine.) I've been hearing from other ladies this sugary drink they make you choke down is absolutely no fun. Then you have to sit and let it do it's magic for an hour before your blood is drawn.

All of this brings back a memory from when I was 8 years old, in the hospital for an appendix-related malady (but I didn't have an appendectomy), and I had to drink this "grape juice", as the nurses tried to sell it to me. First off, it was this nasty purple dye crap that tasted worse than moldy liquid cardboard/carpet. As soon as it hit my esophagus, I started spitting it all back at those clever nurses, a la Linda Blair in The Exorcist. I can't remember how they actually got me to drink that poison (I probably blocked out that memory for good reason).

4 comments:

pinkmorning said...

i'm sorry about your glucose blood test, that really does not sound like any fun. hope you are feeling well.

Steph said...

The orange stuff is really not that bad, as long as they keep it REALLY cold!

Also, could be worse...my cousin (who already has two girls...9 & 11) just found out that she MAY be having twins! She's not even married (not that it matters), but that's a whole other story! :) She has to wait 3 WEEKS for the ultrasound!

Funny story about when I had Ciara...I was so worried about how big she would be...and drugged up from the epidural...that when they put her on the scale, all I saw was "12". I was COMPLETELY freaked out for about 2 minutes, wondering how I managed that feat!!! Then realized it was (7 pounds), 12 OUNCES!!!

SW

Tracy said...

I was gonna write to you and see how your appt went. . . Glad to hear it went well. NO 11 pound babies!! Just remind C. that it is supposed to be a natural birth (wink, wink)!! Sorry about the glucose test, but that just means you're nearing the end of the 2nd tri (or will you be in the 2nd tri?). You're nearing the end. HEY!! where's the belly pics??

Twice the blessing, plus one said...

The Glucose test was terrible for me. The first few drinks of the orange syrup was ok...but by the end, I had to do everything in me to keep from getting sick! Ewwww.....I haven't had any sugars or proteins in my urine and it came out fine.....but that hour to hour and 1/2 afterwards were hard for me....take some crackers with you for after the test....I think the empty stomach makes it worse.

I am glad that everything else is coming out great with your pg!!!! Woo-hoo----you are almost done with Trimester 2!!!!