Lilypie 6th to 18th PicLilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

In a front-loader, to boot!

I'm kicking myself for not taking any before pictures, but here is my new felted tote bag!



For those of you not familiar with felting, it's basically the same thing that happens if you've ever machine-washed a wool sweater. Oops! It comes out looking like it will fit a teddy bear. Items are knit or crochet much larger than the desired size and out of 100 percent wool. Before felting, I hung the straps on my shoulder, and the bag nearly dropped to the floor (about 8 inches above). And here's the finished product on the back of a dining-room chair.

The problem with front-loading machines is once the door is locked and the wash cycle begins, the item cannot be checked several times during the various wash cycles, like a top-loading machine. Using a front-loader is like "blind" felting (though I did a few practice swatches beforehand). I'd have to say I'll likely be felting blindly more often!

7 comments:

Becky said...

Looks fabulous-Gien my crappy knitting skills, I think felting is still out of my league-But it looks great! You could use it as a diaper bag!

pinkmorning said...

what a cute tote. you are so talented. i have been wanting to learn to crochet and knit for sometime, but i don't know anyone that knows how to do it and could teach me...

Josephine said...

Jules...you should come for a visit :) I'll teach you how!

Becky, we've already talked about my sewing skills. ;-P I'm surprised I can darn a sock!

Steph said...

You are so crafty!!! I am jealous! Although I must say, I haven't given much of anything a try. I didn't even know that "felting" existed. My grandma tried to teach me how to crochet when I was in elementary or junior high school...to no avail. You know how strong-headed we were at that age! :)

Anonymous said...

Up until about two or three months ago, I thought there was no way my mom was going to be able to teach me how to crochet because She's right handed, and i'm not....well it turns out my ambidexriousness kicked in and I'm able to crochet right handed! But that's still something I need to work on lol.
the bag is awesome! Great job. my mom's making some potholders out of leftover yarn she has. she makes it look so easy.

Josephine said...

seph...your mom is fast, too. doesn't she whip out blankets in, like, the blink of an eye?!

Anonymous said...

yeah man! she's crazy fast. she made two for bryson and one for each of the girls in like two weeks. plus another two for other random people! i just don't have that kind of talent/patience lol